Saturday, April 5, 2014

slightly out of season

Hmm, beer in one of those dangerously clear bottles...it must be to show off that mellow color.
Innis & Gunn's Oak Aged Beer brings watery whiskey to mind before you taste it, but the scent is sweeter and lighter, and the taste more...Christmasy.  Yes, that's what came to my mind when I first tried it.  It's sweet but spicy, with a complex bittersweet kick at the end.  The label mentions toffee and vanilla, and there is a sort of supertaste that reminds me of eggnog.  With a bit of time on the table, the beer seems to be closer and closer to a very mild whiskey, but I suppose it could be psychological.  It's quite a pleasant beer, which I'd be fine sipping by itself, although it is recommended as an accompaniment to seafood, steak or cheese.  Maybe something slightly salty would be good with it, as a compliment to the round sweet flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment