Thursday, October 31, 2013

to the north



It's been some time since I've had a Scandinavian beer, since I don't make a habit of drinking Carlsberg.  Even in Copenhagen, all those years ago, it was mostly "industrial" beers, although I can't really complain about them.  So here's a little change of taste: Nordic Rye.  The label is entertainingly almost entirely in Danish, except for the part where they say who imports it to Australia.


The first pour releases a light, vanilla-like scent, while the color is a bit ruddier than I expected.  The head is fairly thick and with some staying power.  Not much smell, but the taste is full and ... smoky.  The color and smell threw me off; I was expecting something sweeter, but no matter.  It's quite nice, actually.  It's like a good many IPAs around in that it has a little spice to it, a mellow little sweetness that comes out after a few minutes sitting and sipping.  I definitely see it as a meal beer, with some meat or very lightly seasoned vegetables.  I get the feeling stronger flavors could bring out the berzerker in this brew.

She's got her cat, her cow, and her client.  And if he gives her any shit about the beer, she'll turn him into a toad or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment